Thursday, August 19, 2010

Amusing Last Words:


Ned Kelly- (1854-1880) [Australian folk hero and outlaw and legend]. "I suppose it had to come to this. Such is life." (As the hangman adjusted the hood to cover his face.)
Malcolm X (1925-1965) "Cool it, brothers..." (His last words before being assassinated.)
Charlie Chaplin- When the priest who was attending him at his bedsite said "May the Lord have mercy on your soul", Chaplin is reported to have replied "Why Not? After all, it belongs to him."
Robert Erskins Childers- (Irish Nationalist, executed by an Irish Free State firing squad) "Take a step forward, lads. It will be easier that way."
Christine Chubbock- (Just before she shot herself during a broadcast). "And now, in keeping with Channel 40's policy of always bringing you the latest in blood and guts, in living color, you're about to see another first--an attempted suicide."
Leon Czolgosz- (1873-1902) "I killed the president because he was the enemy of the good people, the good working people. I am not sorry for my crime." (Before his execution for the assassination of William McKinley.)
James Dean:  (1931-1955) "My fun days are over." (Shortly before his fatal car crash.)
George Eastman (1854-1932) "My work is done, why wait?" (His suicide note.)
Errol Flynn-  (1909-1959) "I've had a hell of a lot of fun and I've enjoyed every minute of it." (Said shortly before his death.)

Terry Alan Kath-  (1946-1978) [Founding member of the rock band Chicago] "Don't worry, it's not loaded." (Reportedly said to Don Johnson, while pointing a 9-mm semiautomatic pistol to his own head. The single bullet left in the chamber killed him instantly.)
Wyndham Lewis (1884-1957) "Mind your own business." (When his nurse asked him about the state of his bowels on his deathbed.)

Louis XIV (1638-1715) "Why are you weeping? Did you imagine that I was immortal?" (Noticing as he lay on his deathbed that his attendants were crying.)
Karl Marx (1818-1883) "Go on, get out. Last words are for fools who haven't said enough."
Edwin Henry Murrant (1864-1902) [Australian Anglo-Boer War soldier and poet] "Shoot straight, you bastards! Don't make a mess of it!" (To the firing squad that executed him.)
Ramon Maria Narvaez (1800-1868) "I do not have to forgive my enemies, I have had them all shot." (Said on his deathbed, when asked by a priest if he forgave his enemies.)
Laurence Olivier (1907-1989) "This isn't Hamlet, you know, it's not meant to go into the bloody ear." (To his nurse, who spilt water over him while trying to moisten his lips.)
St John Philby, ( -1960) "God, I'm bored."
Elvis Presley, (1935-1977) "I hope I haven't bored you." (Concluding what would be his last press conference.)
James W. Rodgers, ( -1960) [American criminal] "Why yes, a bulletproof vest!" (On his final request before the firing squad.)
George Sanders,  (1906-1972) "Dear World, I am leaving you because I am bored. I am leaving you with your worries. Good luck." (His suicide note.)

Ayrton Senna (Da Silva), (1960-1994) [Formula One Race Driver] "The car seems OK..." [A few seconds later his steering column broke and he died when his car hit the wall.]

Dylan Thomas, (1914-1953) "I have just had eighteen whiskeys in a row. I do believe that is a record."

Francisco `Pancho' Villa,  (1878-1923) "Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

Voltaire (1694-1778) "This is no time to make new enemies." (When asked on his deathbed to forswear Satan.)

1 comment:

MARTINXXX said...

On Spike Jonze's tombstone
"I told you I was sick."