Sunday, October 11, 2009

I am an Aural learner.

So on the weekend I had to go down to melbourne to do my bronze license for swim coaching (I already have my green license). Anyway i was dreading it because of how sick I've been and I knew I HAD to go because my Job option next year depends on it and I'd already paid $400 for it!
First day was crap.
Second day however we had a Psychology session, it was amazing!
It was so intriguing picking the human brain, it's intensions and how to respond.
We also did a section on goal setting.
Motivation IS a goal, basically the two can't be separated and she told us that the most critical two aspects of achieving goals is rarely done.
That is:
1. Write your goal (and process to get there) down.
2. Have it visible everyday.
There was a lot more depth to it but that for me was the key, so I'm going to apply it.
Publicly? I don't know, I'm embarrassed by my goals which is stupid, I think it's just fear of disapproval and doubt.
Also we learnt how to cater for all 4 learning techniques kids may have.
Visual, Aural, Reading, Kinesthetic. In other words;
Seeing, Hearing, reading, doing.
I didn't know which one I was though, so she told me to do an online VARK test, and my result was
AURAL by a mile, and as I was doing the test it all made so much sense!
Too bad I'm deaf.
But yeh here was my "how to get the most out of study techniques" and a smart ass, way-too-true sentence down the bottom.


Aural Study Strategies

If you have a strong preference for learning by Aural methods (A = hearing) you should use some or all of the following:
INTAKE
To take in the information:
  • attend classes
  • attend discussions and tutorials
  • discuss topics with others
  • discuss topics with your teachers
  • explain new ideas to other people
  • use a tape recorder
  • remember the interesting examples, stories, jokes...
  • describe the overheads, pictures and other visuals to somebody who was not there
  • leave spaces in your notes for later recall and 'filling'
SWOT - Study without tears
To make a learnable package:
Convert your "notes" into a learnable package by reducing them (3:1)
  • Your notes may be poor because you prefer to listen. You will need to expand your notes by talking with others and collecting notes from the textbook.
  • Put your summarised notes onto tapes and listen to them.
  • Ask others to 'hear' your understanding of a topic.
  • Read your summarised notes aloud.
  • Explain your notes to another 'aural' person.
OUTPUT
To perform well in any test, assignment or examination:
  • Imagine talking with the examiner.
  • Listen to your voices and write them down.
  • Spend time in quiet places recalling the ideas.
  • Practice writing answers to old exam questions.
  • Speak your answers aloud or inside your head.
You prefer to have this page explained to you.
The written words are not as valuable as those you hear.
You will probably go and tell somebody about this.

1 comment:

lucylu. said...

That's awesome, I love psychology, and I'm definitely going to try a test :)